Starting from the founding in 1811 of the Scuola di Applicazione and its incorporation in the engineering area of the "Scuola di Ponti e Strade" in Naples, this paper proposes to provide an analysis of the training of students at the School as well as their integration in the professional world. The academic training of these scientists-artists provided them with knowledge of past and modern developments in the building sector. This greatly influenced architectural design of the time and left and an indelible mark on the work of students in Naples and the entire region of Campania. The profiles of the designers presented here enable us to better understand how, between the nineteenth and twentieth century, architectonic styles changed and, as a consequence, how the professional conception of engineers and architects changed to such an extent that two distinct roles developed. Such changes were aided by modifications to course design, as happened in the Naples School, and the new courses in turn greatly influenced the transformation of architecture and engineering.